Stanton: Key part of Four Friends memorial is complete
- Credit: Metal sculpture for memorial
A KEY part of a memorial in honour of four friends has now been completed.
Staff at agricultural machinery manufacturer, Shelbourne Reynolds in Stanton worked in their free time on the metal sculpture for the memorial to remember brothers Thomas, 26, and Daniel Hazelton, 30, and their workmates Peter Johnson (PJ), 42, and Adam Taylor, 28.
The four men, from Stanton and Rickinghall, died in an industrial accident in Great Yarmouth in January 2011.
Following their deaths, the East Anglian Daily Times launched the Four Friends Memorial Fund to raise money for a permanent memorial in their honour.
The fund, which achieved more than £35,000, has paid for a memorial in Rickinghall and a memorial in Stanton is due to be finished soon.
You may also want to watch:
Tom and Daniel’s father, Bob Hazelton, who works at Shelbourne Reynolds, came up with a design, which his colleague Charles Gibbs then formalised, and welders Mike Matthews and Martin Guest put the sculpture together. Tom and Daniel’s mother Marilyn said her cousin Brian Skipp would also be working on personalised elements to capture the four men’s personalities.
The sculpture – which is made of 10mm brushed stainless steel - will have four chairs around it.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
Neil Smith, sales and marketing director at Shelbourne Reynolds, said: “Whenever something like that happens you always try to help wherever you can.” The memorial will be in the car park of the Cock Inn in Stanton.