‘Superstar’ Suffolk New College students in the spotlight at annual college awards ceremony
- Credit: Archant
Annual college awards ceremony at Suffolk New College hails stars of the future
Students who had ‘stood out from the crowd’ were rewarded for their efforts this year during a ceremony held in Ipswich.
The glittering occasion – that saw attendees walk the red carpet - was the annual student awards event held at Suffolk New College.
The host for the evening was Terry Baxter, the chief executive of Inspire Suffolk.
During proceedings, Terry invited principal Viv Gillespie and chair of governors Roger Fern to the stage.
You may also want to watch:
35 awards were handed out in total representing all course areas of the college in categories that rewarded learners for either outstanding progress or outstanding commitment.
Every award was sponsored by companies that included arts organisations, banks, car dealerships and construction firms.
- 1 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 2 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 5 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 6 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
- 7 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 8 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 9 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 10 Bar linked to ‘serious crime’ can re-open weeks after licence suspended
The gold sponsor was Alpha Nurseries. David Finch from this company, said, “Alpha Nurseries are pleased for the fourth year running to have been the gold sponsor for the Suffolk New College student awards 2018. Each year we have sponsored this award we continue to be impressed by the commitment of the students and the great work done by all the tutors and staff at Suffolk New College. We look forward to continuing our sponsorship for many years to come as we celebrate the success of the students and the college.”
A band called Florado made up of students from the college played music at the start of the event and budding actors from the drama department gave a performance at half time.
Addressing students directly during the evening, principal, Viv Gillespie, said, “It’s great to celebrate students who have shone and who have stood out from the crowd. You are the stars of the workforce of the future. Congratulations and good luck with your next step.”
Roger Fern, “I regard all of our students as stars and at this event we are able to celebrate our superstars.
One of the top awards of the evening was sponsored by Archant and it went to 18 year old Fabio Moreira from Ipswich. He said, “It feels good. I’ve worked hard for it. The teachers really support you.”
Jason Last is a teacher of English and he put Fabio forward for the award.
He said, “He brought a really brilliant attitude to the classroom and this event was a real icing on the cake moment.”