Stars flock to rock at the races
By Jonathan BarnesTWO of pop music's brightest young bands join old favourites in a star-studded line-up of concerts at the region's top racecourse this summer.
By Jonathan Barnes
TWO of pop music's brightest young bands join old favourites in a star-studded line-up of concerts at the region's top racecourse this summer.
Chart-topping acts Atomic Kitten and Liberty X have been confirmed to perform at Newmarket's July Racecourse as the venue prepares to stage its seasonal showcases of racing and music.
They will be joined by Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra and Status Quo, who both enjoyed sold-out shows at last year's run of Newmarket Nights.
You may also want to watch:
The line-up, which runs from June to August, is completed by 60s legends The Hollies and a tribute to the Bee Gees.
Entertainment at the Newmarket Nights events includes an evening of racing before an outdoor concert from one of the top names in music.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
Fans of racing and rock are being told to book early for this year's events to avoid disappointment.
Gaynor Haxby, marketing manager at Newmarket Racecourses, said: “We go to great lengths to ensure the entertainment at the July Racecourse appeals to a wide audience.
“Status Quo and Jools Holland are back by popular demand and, with Atomic Kitten among the first-timers at Newmarket, we are looking forward to a busy and exciting summer.”
Girl group Atomic Kitten - Natasha Hamilton, Jenny Frost and Liz McLarnon - have topped the charts with hits such as Whole Again, The Tide Is High and Eternal Flame.
Liberty X - the group put together from rejects of the ITV show Popstars - have triumphed against the odds to record a string of hit singles, including Just A Little and Holding On To You.
Popular pianist Jools Holland has performed a series of stunning sets over the years at Newmarket, while Status Quo enjoyed a rocking debut last year.
This year's run starts on June 20 with a tribute to the Bee Gees with Jools Holland performing on July 18.
Liberty X play Newmarket on July 25 and Status Quo rock the racecourse on August 1. The Hollies are set to appear on August 8, with Atomic Kitten bringing Newmarket Nights to a climax on August 15.
Newmarket Racecourses has set up a dedicated phone number for Newmarket Nights ticket bookings on 08707 200 201. It will also be launching a new website this month at www.newmarketnights.com.