Stepping out for a healthier future
WORKPLACE colleagues are being encouraged to band together and walk their way to better health – and possibly win themselves a Wii Fit.
Healthy Ambitions Suffolk wants teams of workmates to encourage each other to get as much exercise as possible by walking to work, using the stairs instead of the lift and walking at lunchtime,
If each member walks at least 10,000 steps five days a week for the next month they will clock up a million steps between them – and should feel all the better for doing so.
As an added incentive, the organisation is offering a Wii Fit to the team which walks the furthest.
Rebecca Hams, Healthy Ambitions Suffolk project officer, said: “The main focus of Healthy Ambitions Suffolk is to encourage people to make those small changes which can have a massive impact on overall health.
You may also want to watch:
“Walking more often is a perfect way of doing just that, and is the ideal exercise for so many different reasons.
“Not only is it free, but it’s also an easy way to increase your levels of activity and absolutely anyone can do it, regardless of their level of fitness. It’s also the perfect excuse to get out and about and enjoy some of Suffolk’s beautiful countryside and coastlines which, in turn, can have a positive effect on mental health.”
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 8 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 9 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
To register your team and apply for your pedometers, visit www.healthyambitionssuffolk.nhs.uk/million steps .
The challenge can then be completed on any four consecutive weeks between Monday, October 18 and Tuesday, November 30.