Storm update: Wind speeds reached 53mph in Suffolk and 64mph in Essex last night and more severe weather is forecast for the end of the week
- Credit: PA
Wind speeds reached up to 53mph in Suffolk last night, according to forecasters.
The speed was recorded at Wattisham but officals from Weatherquest are confident this would have risen along coastal areas.
The strongest gusts in the region were recorded at Shoeburyness in Essex, where they topped 64mph.
Dan Holley, a forecaster at Weatherquest, said: “The last of the rain looks like it is now clearing off the coast so most of it should be gone by mid morning.” With the worst of the storm now over, today is set to be more settled and Christmas Day will see a few sunny spells with the chance of a few showers.
However, strong winds and rain are set to hit the region again on Friday and could cause problems for motorists and commuters again with strong winds and rain.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Holley added: “It is not going to be quite as bad, and it is still early days, but it could cause some disruption as it currently stands.”
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 5 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 6 Town looking into Portman Road safe standing area ahead of new season
- 7 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 8 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons