Stowmarket bank set to close its doors this summer
- Credit: Google Street View
Barclays is set to close its Stowmarket branch later this year after a drop in counter transactions in the past 24 months.
With 84% of branch customers using other ways to do their banking, such as online and by telephone, the branch will close its doors on Friday, July 9.
Statistics from the Barclays website show in the past 12 months, 36% of the Stowmarket branch's customers have been using nearby branches, and only 148 customers use the bank exclusively for their banking.
A spokesperson for Barclays said: "The decision to close a branch is never an easy one. However, customers are increasingly using alternatives to branches to do their banking. As a result, we are seeing a sustained fall in branch visits across the UK.
“This is reflected at the Stowmarket branch where there has been a 16 per cent reduction in counter transactions in the two years to March 2020. In addition, 84 per cent of our customers at the branch are also using different ways to bank.
You may also want to watch:
“We will work with our customers and provide alternative options to ensure they can continue to manage their money and receive financial expertise when required.”
The nearest Barclays branch is in Ipswich just under 12 miles away.
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 5 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 10 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich