Stowmarket: Building work at The Mix youth centre enters final stages
- Credit: Archant
“Excellent” progress is being made to a £5million youth centre complex which is set to open early next year.
Building work on The Mix in Ipswich Street, Stowmarket, is on time, with the centre expected to be handed over to a board of trustees from Suffolk County Council in the New Year.
The centre will offer teenagers a range of activities and services in a modern building designed for youngsters.
A spokeswoman for the county council said: “I can say that we are making excellent progress and things are on schedule. We know all about the delays caused by the planning issue related to the front building.
“That did have a knock-on effect and Barnes, the construction company, had to adjust the building programme as a consequence.
“The result is that work at the front of the building and final details, such as traditional stone cladding around the windows and some external works to the grounds, will continue at the same time as the inside of the building is fitted out.”
The centre was originally due to be completed by March this year but was dealt a major blow in 2012 when the Victorian property at the front of the centre, originally earmarked to be refurbished, had structural defects and could not be repaired.
- 1 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 2 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 3 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 4 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 5 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 6 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 7 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 8 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 9 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 10 Ex-Town loanee Bonne looks set to depart QPR
Permission to demolish the building had to be obtained from the Government as it was in a conservation area.