Stowmarket cafe is an ‘outstanding example’
- Credit: Archant
A community café in a Suffolk town has won at the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors East of England Awards.
@TheRec, located on the Recreation Ground in Stowmarket, won the award after being recognised as an outstanding example of community spirit, sustainability, regeneration and collaboration in the regeneration category.
The category celebrates projects that have made an exceptional improvement to the built or natural environment, making a long-term contribution to the vitality and prosperity of an area.
Judges looked for a project which conserved or improved the built or natural environment in a way that contributed to the viability of the area.
The project is run by a partnership between Stowmarket Town Council and Suffolk enterprise agency MENTA.
You may also want to watch:
Stowmarket Town Council’s public services manager, Glenn Markwell, said: “The town council worked closely with MENTA, and Dayle Bayliss Associates LLP, over the delivery of the project and we are thrilled the café has been recognised in these awards.
“The project is a fantastic example of what can be achieved when the public and private sectors work together for the good of the community.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 6 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 7 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 8 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 9 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 10 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
Project member, councillor Lesley Mayes said: “It is an outstanding achievement that the café has been given this award, it is testament to everyone who worked so hard on delivering this impressive community asset.”
As the east of England regional winner of the regeneration category, the community café will now go through to the institution’s award grand final to be held in London in October.