Stowmarket: Carnival has raised £2,000 towards target for this year’s event
- Credit: Archant
THE organisers of the Stowmarket Carnival are already half way to their fundraising target for this year’s event.
The carnival will take place over the weekend of July 19-21 and £2,000 is ready to be spent on the project.
Last year the carnival struggled to raise enough money and Saturday’s programme had to be cancelled because of bad weather.
Committee chair, Zoe Lynch, said: “The fundraising is going quite well. We need to secure £4,000, with £2,000 raised so far.
“We are running the procession again this year and we are very much looking forward to it.
You may also want to watch:
“The money is needed to cover the costs of the festival. We will be sending out sponsorship letters to local businesses in the next few weeks.
“We are relying on people to support the carnival and I am very hopeful.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 3 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 8 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
- 9 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 10 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
“The public have been very good so far and the committee are dedicated to making it happen.
“It’s good to see how much we can raise from fundraising events.”
The carnival has received £400 from Stowmarket Town Council in support.
Mrs Lynch said the carnival would remain scaled down because of the costs of some of the arena acts.
But she said community groups are getting involved with the carnival and are looking to provide some of the entertainment in the arena.
A general knowledge fundraising quiz for the carnival is being held at Stowmarket Town Football Club on Saturday.
Doors open at 7pm for a 7.30pm start. Tickets cost £8 per person and includes fish and chips, or £4 without food.
A maximum of six people per team. Tickets bought on the door will not include food.
Mrs Lynch said more people were also needed for the committee and to help with the carnival.
If you would like be involved with the carnival or would like tickets for the quiz evening, call 07854 553966.