Gran’s seaside wish comes true
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk grandmother rolled back the years after her wish to paddle in the sea like she did when she was a youngster came true.
Rita Atkinson, a resident at Care UK's Cedrus House care home in Stowmaket was given the opportunity to visit the beach after carers heard her speaking fondly of her favourite past time as a child.
The 87-year-old spent much of her time at the beach while growing up in Blackpool and her favourite activity was paddling in the sea.
The Care UK team members at Cedrus House decided to grant her a very special wish after hearing her reminiscing with other residents and set up a special visit to Felixstowe, giving Rita and other residents the chance to visit the seaside again.
During the visit, residents enjoyed a game of bingo, a walk along the beach, and were treated to a delicious traditional fish and chip dinner, which was eaten overlooking the sea front.
You may also want to watch:
Unable to visit the seaside without taking a dip, the team took Rita down to the water's edge, so that she could have a paddle once again.
Rita said: "I had a wonderful day and visiting the seaside brought back a lot of happy memories. I was delighted to be go into the sea, even if it was a bit cold."
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 7 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Michelle Webster, home manager at Cedrus House, said: "Everyone at Cedrus House knows how much residents love chatting about holidays they enjoyed when they were younger.
"When Rita told us how much she missed paddling in the sea we were thrilled to be able to grant her wish to visit the seaside and give her the chance to feel the cool sea breeze again.
"It was certainly a day to remember and there has been a real buzz around the home ever since!"