Stowmarket: Christian pastor team care for Christmas party-goers
Pastors have been patrolling the streets of one Suffolk town offering refreshments and guidance to Christmas revellers.
Stowmarket Town Pastors have been on hand over the Christmas period when the town’s bars and pubs have been busy serving customers on Friday and Saturday nights.
The team, made up of 20 volunteers from churches in the town area, has been helping drinkers who may have lost their way for four years.
Monica Gant, 60, co-ordinator for the group, said: “We are a group of people from various different churches who get together to make people feel less vulnerable in the streets late at night whatever they maybe doing.
“People having a good time can feel very vulnerable if they are separated from friends and have had a few drinks. We are there to make sure people enjoy themselves safely and have some care if needed.
“I never feel afraid, we always feel protected, but we do come across some potentially volatile situations – sometimes when people drink it has an adverse effect.”
The pastors, who work between 8pm to midnight on Fridays and 10pm to 2am on Saturdays are linked with their Cafe 52 base in the town via radio link. Suffolk has similar pastor teams in other towns including Ipswich, Sudbury and Felixstowe.
- 1 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 2 Town centre road closed after becoming flooded in torrential rain
- 3 Live updates as Suffolk students pick up their A-Level results
- 4 'There are qualities we want to add' - McKenna on Town transfer targets
- 5 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 6 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 7 Fears over impact of cottage plans on landmark Suffolk windmill
- 8 'Nottingham Knockers' targeting homes in east Suffolk village
- 9 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 10 Almost 400 homes without power after electrical line fault in west Suffolk
If anyone is interested in joining the team they can email firstname.lastname@example.org