Stowmarket: Couple who met through a dating agency despite growing up in the same town are set to tie the knot
- Credit: Archant
A COUPLE who grew up in the same town but did not know each other have found love at the age of 68.
Richard ‘Dick’ Jones and Jenny Bennett, of St Edmunds Road, Stowmarket, both grew up in Hadleigh but attended different schools.
They met on the dating agency, Across the Room, and after three years together they are now making the final preparations for their wedding.
Mrs Bennett said: “I did not know Richard at all. We both went to Across the Room and he was in the first group sent to me. He rang me and it went from there. I did not get in touch with him, he got in touch with me. I had met a couple of people from the agency but something did not click. I met Richard in The George in Hadleigh – we met on middle ground – and we then realised we were both Hadleigh people.”
The couple first met in early 2010 and after a series of dates moved in with each other.
Mr Jones, speaking about how he proposed, said: “I went to her bungalow in Bildeston. I had a bottle of wine and a bunch of flowers, it was a sunny day. I took the flowers in then I got the wine – if she had said no, I would have kept coming back with the wine but thankfully she said yes.
“We probably walked past each other as children but did not realise it.
- 1 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 2 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 3 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 10 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
“As far as I was concerned it was love at first sight. She’s a lovely lady – down to earth, a homely sort of lady.”
Tomorrow they are to be married in Wyverstone Parish Church, near Bacton, and will be going to Corfu for their honeymoon.