Stowmarket: Crews are still tackling barn fire in Newton Road
- Credit: Archant
The fire service is still on scene of a barn blaze near the A14 at Stowmarket.
Crews from Stowmarket and Elmswell were mobilised to the scene in Newton Road just after 9pm last night.
The Stowmarket appliance arrived on scene at 9.16pm to find a Dutch barn containing 40 tonnes of loose straw alight.
Due to a second barn in close proximity a fire break was established.
The straw is currently being allowed to burn out while the fire service is in attendance.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for the fire service said a crew from Princes Street in Ipswich was just about to relieve the crew from Hadleigh at the scene.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said they were contacted about the blaze by the fire service, adding there was smoke going over the A14.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 5 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 10 Elections 2021: Tim Passmore re-elected Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner
She said there was a 50m stretch where visibility was reduced, but it was not causing any undue hazard on the A14.
The cause of the fire is not yet known.