Stowmarket: Crews at Muntons maltings factory fire
- Credit: Archant
Fire crews battled a blaze at a major Suffolk factory complex for more than two hours this afternoon.
Firefighters were called to the Muntons site in Needham Road, Stowmarket, at just after 1.10pm after an alarm sounded.
The blaze involved about one tonne’s worth of malt flour and following a further call to the fire service additional resources were sent.
Crews from Needham Market, Elmswell, Princes Street, Bury St Edmunds and Ixworth were all dispatched.
At 1.30pm the fire was located in a four-storey detached building measuring 30x30m which is used for to make malt.
You may also want to watch:
Fire was found on the second-floor involving grain in silo. Crews worked to isolate gas and electricity supplies.
Two sets of breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a thermal imaging camera were used.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
- 9 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 10 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
By 2.05pm the building was smoke logged and crews worked to contain the fire.
Appliances across Suffolk including from Newmarket, Stowmarket, Wickhambrook and Bury St Edmunds were all put on stand-by.
Just after 2.50pm a risk assessment of the building was made as crews worked to remove smouldering grain from the first and ground floor levels of the building.
Some staff were allowed back to buildings unaffected by the fire.
Fire chiefs reported the blaze to be under-control by 3.15pm.