Stowmarket: Fairytale ending for pantomime princess after on-stage proposal
A PANTOMIME princess enjoyed a fairytale ending when her Suffolk boyfriend proposed to her on stage.
Nyiesha Austin broke down in tears at Stowmarket’s Regal Theatre after partner Oliver Bird dropped down on one knee at the end of Aladdin.
Miss Austin, 19, who was playing Princess Jasmine, said: “Every girl dreams about how they are going to be proposed to and I had so many scenarios in my head and I could not dream for it to be more romantic than it was today.
“The audience was crying and the proposal was an amazing end to a fantastic run of shows and it’s best the Christmas I could have had.”
Mr Bird, 31, who was the stage manager for Stowmarket Operatic and Dramatic Society show, said he had to overcome shyness to pop the question.
“It was very difficult - I have lost seven pounds this week worrying about it,” said the former pupil at County Upper School, Bury St Edmunds. “I don’t know how I got through the production. I was getting closer and closer to the moment and I was shaking by the end.”
Miss Austin, who works part-time as a barmaid at The White Horse, Beyton, revealed even after he walked on stage with a red rose she was still not expecting a proposal - he had said earlier he wanted to kiss her on stage.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze near Suffolk recycling centre
- 2 Popular carnival's firework display cancelled
- 3 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Suffolk after heatwave
- 4 'Peaceful' Suffolk coastal town named one of the best in the UK
- 5 Matchday Recap: How Town's 3-0 win against MK unfolded
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their victory over MK Dons
- 7 Stu says: Six observations following MK Dons victory
- 8 Weather warning for thunderstorms in Suffolk extended
- 9 Sainsbury's and Harvester evacuated after fire breaks out
- 10 'A really special effort' - McKenna's verdict on 3-0 win v MK Dons
She added: “Then with that he pulled a box out of his waistcoat and went down on one knee. I was in so much shock - it took me 10 minutes to say yes.”
The couple, who were celebrating with champagne at home in Elmswell last night, have yet to set a date for their wedding.