Stowmarket: Family of drink-drive victim urges people to apply for funding
- Credit: Archant
A MOTHER who lost her 20-year-old son after he was killed by a drink-driver has invited people to apply for funding from the charity set up in his name.
The family of Aiden Jones, 20, of Orwell Road, Stowmarket, who died in a head-on crash in 2009, have raised £20,000 for the charity, AJ’s Legacy.
Aiden’s mother Jayne said running the charity had been a support for the family.
“People should come to us and if we can afford to do it we will look at it,” Mrs Jones said.
“Stowmarket Lions Club have come to us and if we have a big item which we cannot afford to pay between us we could do it together.
“Last year we had been really lucky – a lot of people came forward and raised a lot of money for us. One man went round five golf courses in a day, people have had parties including a couple’s golden wedding party.”
AJ’s Legacy has supported children with additional needs but now Mrs Jones has said the family is open to help other good causes.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 3 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 4 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 5 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 6 Long delays on A12 after overturned tractor trailer
- 7 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 8 Matchday Live: Blues behind as Stanley take the lead
- 9 Ex Town striker Wickham links back up with Manning at MK Dons
- 10 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
She said: “What we would say, if you do know of anybody who could do with help, we would sit down and discuss it and go from there.
“We will never come to terms with what happened but we felt by at least helping others it will give us a boost.”
The family are organising their fourth fundraising golf day at Seckford Hall. The event will take place on May 24, and is £140 per team of four.
Last year’s golf event raised £3,500.
To contact AJ’s Legacy go to www.ajslegacy.co.uk call 01449 675779 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
From the website an application form for a bursary can be downloaded.