Stowmarket: Former pub the Unicorn is redeveloped
ONCE it was a place for people to come and meet, but now a former pub could be your new home.
The Unicorn in Lime Tree Place, Stowmarket, has been redeveloped into four properties with a further three built to the rear.
Developer Gipping Homes purchased the pub in 2010 and completed the work last month.
Managing director Peter Blemings said: “It’s an old building, part of historic Stowmarket. It would have been cheaper to demolish but we have preserved the building.
“The old toilet block in the back of the pub is now an open plan living room with high ceilings and beams – we have preserved all of the old features. A lot of the rooms are not square but it goes with living in an old building.”
You may also want to watch:
Some local residents set up a group opposing the development plan for the pub in 2010 as there were concerns it would be knocked down.
But the pub’s building was retained and offers one, two and three-bedroom homes.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 5 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
The three new terrace homes in the pub’s former car park consist of a pair of two-bed houses and an additional two-bed chalet type building.
According to the book Stowmarket, Combs and Stowupland Pubs by Neil Langridge and Brian A Southgate, The Unicorn was built as a bakehouse in 1860. After spending years as a beerhouse, the pub was eventually sold to Greene King for �3,500 in 1897.