Stowmarket: Griff Rhys Jones and Matt Holland to switch-on Christmas lights
THE programme for an entertainment-packed Christmas lights switch-on in Stowmarket has been announced.
This Friday broadcaster Griff Rhys Jones and Ipswich Town hero Matt Holland will turn on the town’s lights at 7.15pm.
Huge crowds are expected as the town is lit up with a festive evening of entertainment following.
Griff, who lives in the Holbrook area and starred in the TV programme Not the Nine O’Clock News, will turn on the lights at St Peter and St Mary’s Church at 6.30pm to launch their Christmas Tree Festival which will feature hundreds of trees decorated by community groups and charities.
The church, which had more than 200 trees packed into the building last year, will be opening its doors from 5.45pm.
Matt will be leading a children’s torchlight procession from the Museum of East Anglian Life to the church as part of the evening’s programme.
Matt and Griff will then jointly switch on the town centre lights at 7.15pm.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 4 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 7 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 9 Plans submitted for Suffolk equestrian centre's new home
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
Daniel Harvey, public services manager at Stowmarket Town Council said: “Last year’s switch-on was the most popular town centre event for years but this year will be even better.”
Entertainment, music and attractions will be put on throughout the town, including in the Market Place, Meadow Centre, Old Fox Yard, Bury Street, Museum of East Anglian Life, the Parish Church and Ipswich Street.
Lined up to perform are Mr Ukulele, Ska’d4Life, Stowmarket Salvation Army Band, Steve Sausage, Sim Pattison, Dr Bluegrass, Illbilly 8 and Stowupland High School Jazz Band.
The event has been organised by Stowmarket Town Centre Partnership and Stowmarket Town Council in partnership with St Peter and St Mary’s Church and the Museum of East Anglian Life.
If you will be at the switch on, take a camera and send us your iwitness photos and video to suffolk.iwitness24.co.uk - or send us images of your Christmas display