Stowmarket group to take on ambitious theatre project staged at John Peel Centre
- Credit: SPINNING WHEEL THEATRE
Six creative young people are set to take to the stage as part of an ambitious theatre project in Stowmarket.
Participants of the first-ever Spinning Wheel Theatre Youth Takeover project in Stowmarket, aged 15-22, will perform The Hothouse by Harold Pinter this summer.
As part of the takeover project the group must take charge of all aspects of the production, from fundraising £500 online through Kickstarter, to doing their own marketing and sourcing costumes and props.
Most of the six members of the project are from Stowupland High School.
The one-off performance of the 1958 thriller, based in a ministry-run institution, will take place at the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts in Stowmarket on July 8 at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Amy Wyllie, co-founder and artistic director of professional touring company Spinning Wheel Theatre, said: “It is a very complex and classic Pinter. You don’t know what is going on until right at the end. It is a very challenging piece for the cast to tackle.
“We have done youth takeover projects for a few years in Bury St Edmunds but this is a brand new cohort of people in Stowmarket getting to experience something they might not be able to get elsewhere.
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 7 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 8 Seven observations following Ipswich Town's 2-1 loss to West Ham U21s
- 9 From favourites to outsiders - odds on Town winning League One drift widely
- 10 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
“It is exciting seeing them learn about the subplots and be creative.”
Suffolk-based Spinning Wheel Theatre, formed in 2011, brings professional theatre to isolated, rural and small community venues across East Anglia.
Tickets for The Hothouse cost £5 and are available from the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts box office by visiting www.johnpeelcentre.com or calling 01449 774678.