Headteacher praises ‘brilliant’ fire service after blaze on grounds of high school

Stowmarket High School headteacher Dave lee-Allan has praised fire fighters after a pile of rubbish

Stowmarket High School headteacher Dave lee-Allan has praised fire fighters after a pile of rubbish caught alight yesterday evening. Picture: DAVE LEE-ALLAN - Credit: Archant

The headteacher of Stowmarket High School has praised the “brilliant” firefighters who tackled a blaze which broke out in a pile of rubbish on school grounds.

The fire started in a pile of rubbing on the school grounds shortly before 5.20pm. Picture: ROLAND E

The fire started in a pile of rubbing on the school grounds shortly before 5.20pm. Picture: ROLAND EVANS - Credit: Archant

Two crews attended the scene shortly before 5.20pm yesterday evening after witnesses reported seeing smoke billowing from land close to the school building in Gainsborough Road, Stowmarket.

Firefighters arrived to find a large pile of rubbish, which is separate from the school building, alight.

The rubble was part of the demolition site of the former high school building.

They remained at the scene for an hour, until the blaze was extinguished.

Dave Lee-Allan, headteacher of Stowmarket High School and chairman of Suffolk Association of Seconda

Dave Lee-Allan, headteacher of Stowmarket High School and chairman of Suffolk Association of Secondary Heads Picture: GREGG BROWN - Credit: Gregg Brown


You may also want to watch:


A tweet from the Stowmarket High School headteacher Dave Lee-Allan praised the “brilliant” fire service for their help.

He later said: “The fire was limited to an isolated zone of wooden debris collected as part of the demolition process.

Most Read

“The subcontractors and Wates staff had left so at no point was any individual at risk, nor was the new school building under any threat.

“The fire crews’ speedy and decisive actions quickly extinguished the fire and measures were employed to ensure the wood could not reignite.

The fire started in a pile of rubbish on the school grounds shortly before 5.20pm. Picture: ROLAND E

The fire started in a pile of rubbish on the school grounds shortly before 5.20pm. Picture: ROLAND EVANS - Credit: Archant

“The school day has not been affected in any way by this unfortunate incident.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus