Stowmarket: Illegal workers caught at restaurant
THREE illegal immigrants have been caught by the UK Border Agency in a raid on a Stowmarket restaurant.
Officers from the Suffolk and North-East Essex Local Immigration Team visited the Chinese Chequers in Ipswich Street early on Friday afternoon.
Immigration checks revealed that three members of the kitchen staff – two men aged 30 and 21 and a 22-year-old woman from China - had entered the UK illegally.
The UK Border Agency will now take action to remove the offenders from the country as soon as possible.
The Chinese Chequers faces a possible fine of up to �30,000 – �10,000 per illegal worker – if the employer cannot prove that the correct pre-employment checks were carried out.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Immigration Officer Dave Butler said: “Illegal working has a serious impact on communities, taking jobs from those who are genuinely allowed to work.
“As this operation shows, we are making it harder than ever for people to evade our immigration controls.
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 4 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 9 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 10 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
“Like all our visits, this was intelligence led and I would urge anyone to let us know when they have information about suspected immigration offenders.”