Stowmarket: Investigation launched into bus collision with traffic light and shop
- Credit: Lucy taylor
The driver of a bus which collided with a set of traffic lights and a florist shop in Stowmarket was not on board when the incident happened, it has been confirmed.
Investigations are continuing into the collision in Tavern Street, at the junction with Station Road West and Market Place, which happened at about 7.45am today and caused the road to be blocked for several hours.
The owner of the shop involved, Edelweiss, was adamant that she would continue to operate her business as usual while the operator of the bus, First Eastern Counties, said it was working with police.
A spokesman for First said: “Fortunately there were no injuries.
“Our investigation team is working with Suffolk police to establish exactly what happened.
You may also want to watch:
“That process, which includes speaking to our driver, is ongoing and its too early to speculate what exactly happened.
“We can confirm, however, that our driver was not on board the vehicle when the incident occurred.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 5 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 6 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 7 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 8 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 9 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 10 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
The traffic light was badly damaged by the incident however the full extent of the damage to the shop is not yet known.
One eyewitness said both windscreens at the front of the bus were smashed and that a tyre had come off the vehicle.
Isabel Wilton, the owner of Edelweiss, in Market Place, said nobody was in the shop when the incident happened but that the collision had meant it was not possible for people to enter the facility.
The business is currently operating from Noble and White gift shop, which is opposite the florists.
Mrs Wilton said she was shocked by the incident but was thankful nobody was injured in the incident.
Mrs Wilton added: “The shock of it did all set in but the most important thing was that nobody was hurt and that is all that matters at the end of the day. It could have been so serious.”
A spokesman for Suffolk police said investigations were taking place and confirmed that nobody had been seriously injured.