Stowmarket: John Peel Centre has funding breakthrough
THE John Peel Centre has been boosted after raising more than �100,000 in just two months to support its �1.3m refurbishment project.
Building work at the centre in Church Walk, Stowmarket, is due to be completed on December 10.
The centre was aiming to raise �100,000 by the end of the year but it has exceeded expectation with its fundraising.
Chairman of the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts, Andrew Stringer said: “We have had some really good news but there’s still a few bits and pieces we need to do, there’s been some extra cost – upgrading the power in the building.
“We’ve had a few little minor delays you always get with an old building.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “The [fundraising] response so far has been brilliant, companies have come on board which has been fantastic. The money is all but raised which is great. We think we are in the final stages.
“We have had some really touching letters and little cards with �40 in it, it’s probably a lot for that family.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
He said last month’s benefit gig with Peel favourites The Fall and The Undertones had gone “incredibly well” and raised almost �9,000.
The centre also received an Arts Council grant worth tens of thousands of pounds.
The Rotary Club of Gipping Valley Stowmarket sponsored windows and a sign in the centre.
Mr Stringer said they were aiming to have a grand opening event at the centre featuring headline acts this year.