Stowmarket: John Peel Centre has funding breakthrough
THE John Peel Centre has been boosted after raising more than �100,000 in just two months to support its �1.3m refurbishment project.
Building work at the centre in Church Walk, Stowmarket, is due to be completed on December 10.
The centre was aiming to raise �100,000 by the end of the year but it has exceeded expectation with its fundraising.
Chairman of the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts, Andrew Stringer said: “We have had some really good news but there’s still a few bits and pieces we need to do, there’s been some extra cost – upgrading the power in the building.
“We’ve had a few little minor delays you always get with an old building.
He added: “The [fundraising] response so far has been brilliant, companies have come on board which has been fantastic. The money is all but raised which is great. We think we are in the final stages.
“We have had some really touching letters and little cards with �40 in it, it’s probably a lot for that family.”
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 3 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 4 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 5 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 6 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 7 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 8 'It's going great' - New pizzeria proving a hit in east Suffolk town
- 9 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 10 Rail services disrupted after Needham Market bridge struck
He said last month’s benefit gig with Peel favourites The Fall and The Undertones had gone “incredibly well” and raised almost �9,000.
The centre also received an Arts Council grant worth tens of thousands of pounds.
The Rotary Club of Gipping Valley Stowmarket sponsored windows and a sign in the centre.
Mr Stringer said they were aiming to have a grand opening event at the centre featuring headline acts this year.