Major upgrade to Stowmarket leisure centre gets underway
- Credit: Archant
A £2.2m upgrade and extension to Mid Suffolk Leisure Centre in Stowmarket, including a new gym, poolside features and changing rooms, is underway.
Mid Suffolk District Council, which owns the centre but which is managed by leisure provider Everyone Active, is investing the sum in the project as part of their plans to upgrade leisure provision in the district.
The works, carried out by Callix Leisure Ltd, are expected to be completed by this winter.
An extension to the current building to house a newly refurbished fitness suite, doubling the number of stations from 50 to 100, will be included in the work as well as refurbished showers and toilets in the fitness changing rooms.
Updated poolside railings and glass barriers and the introduction of Poolview technology to support lifeguards are also going to be installed.
You may also want to watch:
Julie Flatman, cabinet member for communities and housing at Mid Suffolk District Council, said: “I’m excited this work has now begun at Mid Suffolk Leisure Centre and I look forward to customers being able to use the new facilities once complete.
“This project forms part of our wider vision for Stowmarket, while ensuring we develop our sports and leisure infrastructure in Mid Suffolk to support our residents to remain active.
- 1 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 2 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 7 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 8 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
“We understand the importance of the health and wellbeing of our communities, and achieving the aims set out in our Leisure, Sport & Physical Activity Strategy will be of paramount importance over the coming months and years.”
A refurbishment of the sports hall, café, dance studios, public areas and shower and toilet facilities for swimmers, has already been completed during lockdown.
This is to ensure the phased re-opening of the centre could take place without unnecessary delay, taking the first steps towards recovery from the Covid-19 outbreak.
Anselm Gurney, contract manager for Everyone Active leisure centres in Mid Suffolk, said: “It’s great we’re now starting work to upgrade facilities for our customers at Mid Suffolk Leisure Centre, to improve the fitness experience over the coming years.
“We look forward to continuing to work closely in partnership with Mid Suffolk District Council, to benefit the local community by achieving our objective of getting everyone active.”