Stowmarket malt firm Muntons estimates £600k colour sorter for barley will save 340 wasted truck movements
- Credit: Muntons
A Stowmarket-based malt firm has invested £600,000 in a colour sorter to help overcome contamination issues with malting barley deliveries.
Muntons, which believes it is the first UK maltster to invest in the technology, says the device, which detects and removes contaminants from cereal deliveries, will significantly reducing wasted lorry journeys through rejections at its maltings.
Colour sorters use LED lighting and special cameras to detect any foreign material. The data is analysed by dedicated software and the rejected material is ejected and collected separately from the cereals.
The move means farmers will still be able to sell their load as premium quality malting barley instead of having to find alternative used for contaminated material.
Last year was one of the worst on record for cereals contaminated with ergot, a fungus poisonous to humans, which can grow on cereals.
Supply chain general manager Mike Norfolk said: “In the past, farmers who had deliveries rejected because of ergot contamination would have had to take the load to be cleaned by a specialist company, which would have involved additional haulage as well as the cleaning cost itself. Now we are able to clean the load on-site for the farmer saving them wasted haulage costs and wasted time.”
Had Muntons had this technology in place last year, it estimates it could have saved more than 340 wasted truck movements.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 9 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 10 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town