Stowmarket: Shoppers taken back in time
SHOPPERS in Stowmarket were given a trip back in time as the town hosted an episode of a popular TV programme.
The BBC series Turn Back Time, which transports shopkeepers into bygone High Streets, was filmed in the town yesterday.
As part of the event a former bedroom shop in Ipswich Street was filled with old-fashioned goods which were once on sale in the town.
Scores of people visited the store throughout the day and shared their memories of what shopping was like in days gone by.
A special timeline was also set up in the shop to display how the town’s High Street looked in the past.
You may also want to watch:
Lesley Mayes, Suffolk County Council’s portfolio holder for Stowmarket, said: “This event will help to showcase the history behind the Stowmarket High Street and what a wonderful history it is.
“Without these memories, we won’t be able to capture the past for our future generations.”
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 8 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence