Stowmarket: Speed dating with a twist? Library comes up with ideas for fundraising
- Credit: Archant
A LIBRARY could be used for speed dating with a literacy twist - this was one of the ideas out forward at its first community meeting.
About 40 people have formed a Friends of Stowmarket group at the town’s library.
In the meeting ideas were expressed about how to fundraise as the library faces budget cuts.
Frances Law, Stowmarket Library manager, said: “It was really good news. We are really pleased. We had quite a good mix of people. We had some people from Stowmarket High School with some great ideas.
“We had a wide range of ideas from simple book sales to a university professor coming onboard to take lessons. It was fantastic I think everyone was really amazed by all of the ideas that came through. We might want to start with something small.”
A date for the next meeting has yet to be announced. Mrs Law said she would be looking for all the fundraising ideas in the coming days.
The EADT’s sister title, the Stowmarket Mercury, has backed the Friends of Stowmarket campaign. More than 670 people visited the library during an open day last month where people came forward to support the campaign. The open day showcased the activities the library runs including craft and games sessions.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 6 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 7 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 8 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 9 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 10 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing