Stowmarket Striders hold Scenic 7 race dedicated to teenager Charlotte Cobbald who had been a club member
- Credit: Archant
The mother of a 17-year-old girl who died earlier this year has started a race which was dedicated to the teenager.
Charlotte Cobbald collapsed at the family farm in Acton, near Sudbury in August. She had been a promising runner with the Stowmarket Striders.
On Sunday, her mother Hilde started the Scenic 7 race in Stowmarket, which Charlotte ran herself last year, by releasing white doves. Her father Stephen also attended the event organised by the Stowmarket Striders.
Mrs Cobbald said: “We were overwhelmed by the kindness and gentle compassion with which we were welcomed by Stow Striders, the runners, and everyone involved at the Scenic 7 event.
“We were able to follow the route as we did last year, when Charley ran, cheered on the runners and remembered Charley’s infectious smile as she passed saying ‘thanks mum, thanks dad.
“Thank you striders for your wonderful support for our beautiful daughter, and allowing us to be with you all again this year.”
Charlotte, a former Ipswich High School for Girls student, died after a long battle with depression and anorexia.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 9 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 10 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
A two-minute silence was held on the day.