Stowmarket: Thorntree Lunch Club has 40th birthday but is forced to close two days later
- Credit: Archant
A lunch club celebrated its 40th birthday only to be forced to close two days later.
The Thorntree Lunch Club in Stowmarket has seen hundreds of over 60’s join it over the years.
But the group, which was run by volunteers, has now disbanded because of low attendances.
Peter Thompson had been chairman of the group. He said: “The whole thing accumulated on the 40th anniversary. We had the celebration and then two days after it we closed down.
“We closed because of the current economic situation. We had dwindling numbers of patrons coming and so it was very difficult. We went from 30 members a day down to six or seven.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Over the years we were predominately for the over 60’s but people who are 60 years of age today think that they are too young for it. It is a great shame.”
With numbers getting lower and lower the lunchclub became financially unviable, Mr Thompson added.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
A celebration event was held at what had been the lunchclub’s home in Milton House near the town council offices. The town mayor Vera Waspe and the town clerk David Blackburn attended along with other dignitaries.
The club originally began in 1973 at 15 Station Road in the town.