Stowmarket: Time to support Peel project
“WE need your support” - that’s the message from the team behind the John Peel arts centre to the people of Stowmarket.
Residents have been urged to show their backing for an ambitious project to turn the former Corn Exchange into the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts today.
The centre would be a place for live music, art displays, workshops and could even host a digital archive of the late DJ’s vast back catalogue of live sessions, many recorded at his Peel Acres home in nearby Great Finborough.
At 12noon a crew from ITV1 prime time show People’s Millions will be in the town’s Market Place to shoot a clip that will be screened later in the month when the project goes live on air in a bid to secure up to �50,000 in lottery funding.
On the night, viewers will be asked to vote for either the Peel centre or a rival project, from west Essex, and the winner will receive the cash boost.
You may also want to watch:
John Spitzer, who is part of the Peel Centre team, has called on people to come to the Market Place and wear clothing or bring something along that illustrates their artistic passion.
The aim is to show Stowmarket as a creative and imaginative town that would benefit from having a new creative arts hub.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 3 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 6 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 7 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 8 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
- 9 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
The film shot today will air on the People’s Millions on November 25, with the phone number announced tot the public on the day.
Mr Spitzer said: “The vote lines will open on the day at 9am, closing at midnight. We won’t get the number until the day but it will be on the ITV People’s Millions website.
“We’re just asking people to vote on the day and to come out next week at the Market Place and show their support for the project.”
Mr Spitzer said the funding would help the project to reach phase two of a four-stage process that would enable the site to host live shows next year.