Stow plunder seven goals to sink Woodpeckers
- Credit: Archant
Stowmarket Town 7 Woodbridge Town 0
Stowmarket Town, the league leaders, inflicted a heavy defeat on the Woodpeckers at Greens Meadow yesterday.
Dave Cowley scored a hat-trick and away keeper Alfie Stronge made several excellent saves as the home side impressed from start to finish, building up a 4-0 lead by half-time.
George Quantrell's effort was well saved by Stronge after eight minutes, and Josh Mayhew's goal-bound shot was cleared off the line by Liam Scopes shortly afterwards.
Stronge again denied Mayhew after 13 minutes, and the home striker headed over the bar just six minutes later for the dominant hosts.
You may also want to watch:
However, the league leaders did take the lead in the 20th minute when Cowley's accurate corner was headed in by centre-half Joe Jefford.
Kelsey Trotter's shot went wide of the post after 27 minutes, but the home side doubled their lead just 60 seconds later, with striker Mayhew applying a neat finish from 10 yards out.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
Another effort from Mayhew was parried for a corner by Stronge after 35 minutes, with Jack Ainsley heading over from the resultant corner.
Cowley made it 3-0 in the 39th minute from Robbie Sweeney's pass, and the lead was increased to 4-0 just three minutes later as Cowley's curling free kick beat Stronge.
The hard-working Carlos Edwards' cross was well held by home keeper James Bradbrook after 52 minutes, as Woodbridge searched for a way back into the game, or at least a consolation goal.
Ainsley headed over on the hour and Jake Rudge's effort tested Bradbrook on 66 minutes.
But Sweeney made it 5-0 after 69 minutes with an accurate finish into the bottom corner of the net, setting up a strong finish by impressive Stow.
Busy keeper Stronge denied home substitute George Clarke in the 70th minute with a superb double stop, and he again denied the impressive Cowley five minutes later.
However, Clarke made no mistake on 80 minutes, finding the back of the net from an acute angle to make it 6-0.
Ray's effort tested Bradbrook in the 86th minute, but play then switched to the other end with Cowley completing his hat-trick to make the final score-line 7-0 and a day to forget for the Woodpeckers.