Stowmarket: Town set for television transformation
STOWMARKET: Shop-keepers are set to journey back in time when television producers help revisit a century of high street trade.
BBC series, Turn Back Time is stopping in Stowmarket next Wednesday, December 8. And the show’s creators are inviting locals to share their memories and record them for future generations.
Anyone who remembers shops like Jubys, Lillistones or Pluck’s can go along to the former Bedroom Shop in Ipswich Street and reminisce.
The shop will be taken over between 9.30am to 4pm and filled with old fashioned goods once available to buy in the old market town.
A time-line will be displayed on the day showing how the high street looked in the past, so anyone with any old photos of Stowmarket shops is invited to take them along to be recorded.
You may also want to watch:
Town councillor Lesley Mayes said: “This event will help to showcase the history behind the Stowmarket High Street and what a wonderful history it is.
“I’d like to encourage everyone who ever has a memory of the past and present High Street, to come along and share it. Without those memories, we won’t be able to capture the past for our future generations.”
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 8 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 9 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 10 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
Radio Suffolk’s Lesley Dolphin will also be chatting to guests from a sofa inside the shop.