Stowmarket: Visitor numbers up at thriving Regal Theatre as it records busiest year on record
- Credit: Archant
An independent cinema has seen its admission figures double in four years.
Stowmarket’s Regal Theatre had nearly 57,000 visitors in the 2013/14 financial year.
This makes it the busiest year on record for the business which was devastated by fire in 2009.
But since then the theatre has only looked forwards and as well as seeing the visitors numbers rise dramatically has invested in new equipment.
A 3D projector was installed in 2012 and there are further improvements scheduled for 2015, including more seating and an improved bar area.
You may also want to watch:
The Regal’s manager, David Marsh, said: “It has been another great year for the theatre, admissions are up on last year and have more than doubled in the last four years. Thanks to the faith of Stowmarket Town Council and the continued support of our customers, the venue is still growing and remains relevant to the town.
“We’ve had a wide variety of events in the past 12 months, obviously cinema is the majority of our business but we’ve also had some great live shows including Comedian Lee Hurst, The Festival of Remembrance, Country Music Legend Raymond Froggatt, Stowmarket’s Got Talent and a week of pantomime to name but a few.”
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
In January the Regal also launched its Pocket Money Movies scheme for younger visitors. Family films are screened on Saturday and Sunday mornings with children paying £2 and an accompanying adult getting in free.
Films coming up at the theatre in the next few weeks include The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Muppets Most Wanted and Captain America: The Winter Solider.