Stowmarket: Work starts on final stage of £5m The Mix project
- Credit: Archant
Work on the final stage of a £5million youth centre project in Stowmarket is under way and set to be completed in six months.
This means that The Mix in Ipswich Street is on track to be completed by January 2014 and will be ready for young people to use.
The Mix will offer teenagers access to modern facilities and activities to improve their skills.
Although building work started in 2011, the project was dealt a major blow last year when it was discovered that the Victorian building at the front of the site, originally earmarked to be refurbished, had structural defects and could not be repaired.
As the building falls in a conservation area, consent to demolish it had to be sought from the Government.
In January demolition was approved, as were plans to replace it with a modern building. It is this new building, which young people helped to design, that is now being constructed.
Gordon Jones, the council’s deputy cabinet member for education, skills and young people, said: “I am delighted that we are now well on our way to completing this landmark facility for young people. The Mix is a very valuable and unique facility for Suffolk.”
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 3 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 4 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 5 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 6 'It's going great' - New pizzeria proving a hit in east Suffolk town
- 7 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 8 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 9 'He can trust me to do that' - Leigh on his new challenge at Town
The Mix Trust, which will be taking on the management of the facility from the council, is currently working from alternative locations in Stowmarket to run activities and get young people ready to move into The Mix.