Stowmarket: Work starts on final stage of £5m The Mix project
- Credit: Archant
Work on the final stage of a £5million youth centre project in Stowmarket is under way and set to be completed in six months.
This means that The Mix in Ipswich Street is on track to be completed by January 2014 and will be ready for young people to use.
The Mix will offer teenagers access to modern facilities and activities to improve their skills.
Although building work started in 2011, the project was dealt a major blow last year when it was discovered that the Victorian building at the front of the site, originally earmarked to be refurbished, had structural defects and could not be repaired.
As the building falls in a conservation area, consent to demolish it had to be sought from the Government.
You may also want to watch:
In January demolition was approved, as were plans to replace it with a modern building. It is this new building, which young people helped to design, that is now being constructed.
Gordon Jones, the council’s deputy cabinet member for education, skills and young people, said: “I am delighted that we are now well on our way to completing this landmark facility for young people. The Mix is a very valuable and unique facility for Suffolk.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 6 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
The Mix Trust, which will be taking on the management of the facility from the council, is currently working from alternative locations in Stowmarket to run activities and get young people ready to move into The Mix.