Stradbroke swimmers take part in national Swimathon celebration
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of a Suffolk pool’s annual Swimathon joined people from all over the country to celebrate the charity event’s 30th anniversary.
Maria Smith and Len Phoenix from Stradbroke Swim & Fitness Centre were invited to the House of Lords for the celebration.
Their involvement marked the Stradbroke’s participation over 20 years with the centre always rated in the top five pools out of more than 600 taking part each year.
Nationally, Swimathon has raised millions of pounds for Macmillan and other cancer-related charities.
Guests at Parliament included the event’s trustees, management, sponsors, representatives of the best pools and “Mr Swimathon”, former champion swimmer Duncan Goodhew.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Phoenix said: “We both felt very honoured to represent the Swimathon Swimmers who have all taken part over the years. We all have shed loads of fun doing it.”
- 1 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 2 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 6 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?