Picture shows firefighters tackling 400-tonne bale blaze
- Credit: Essex County Fire & Rescue Service
This is the dramatic moment 400 tonnes of straw bales caught alight near Braintree.
Essex County Fire and Rescue has released the image of the late-night blaze in Sampford Hall Lane at 11.48pm yesterday.
Two fire crews from Thaxted and Saffron Walden stations were called to the scene.
When fire crews arrived, they reported that the stack of straw, which weighed around 400 tonnes, was alight and had collapsed onto the B1051.
Around 100m of hedgerow had also caught fire.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters have warned that the stack will continue to burn and produce smoke.
They have advised neighbours in the area to keep their windows and doors closed.
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 8 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
- 9 From favourites to outsiders - odds on Town winning League One drift widely
- 10 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?