Student approached by men in white van on way to East Bergholt High School – Headteacher warns pupils not to walk home alone tonight
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
A student was approached by two men in a white van when walking to school on the Suffolk/Essex border this morning.
Colin Turner, headteacher of East Bergholt High School, described the incident as “potentially serious”.
Police are investigating and staff at the school will warn students not to walk home by themselves this evening.
In an open letter issued to parents on East Bergholt High School’s website, Mr Turner said: “This morning I have been made aware of a potentially serious incident which occurred to a student on their way to school.
“The student was approached by two men travelling in a white van, whilst walking to the bus stop in the Boxted/Langham area.
You may also want to watch:
“The van slowed down and the student was asked to get into the van.
“The incident has been reported to the police.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 8 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 9 Publican 'bitterly disappointed' as holiday home plans refused
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
“This evening, staff will speak to students on their buses before they leave school to encourage them, wherever possible, to walk home with at least one other student.
“I am sure you will also want to speak to your child this evening regarding their personal safety.
“I will inform parents if I receive any further relevant information. In the meantime, if you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me at the school.”
A spokesman for Essex Police has confirmed the incident has been reported to the force.