Student approached by men in white van on way to East Bergholt High School – Headteacher warns pupils not to walk home alone tonight
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
A student was approached by two men in a white van when walking to school on the Suffolk/Essex border this morning.
Colin Turner, headteacher of East Bergholt High School, described the incident as “potentially serious”.
Police are investigating and staff at the school will warn students not to walk home by themselves this evening.
In an open letter issued to parents on East Bergholt High School’s website, Mr Turner said: “This morning I have been made aware of a potentially serious incident which occurred to a student on their way to school.
“The student was approached by two men travelling in a white van, whilst walking to the bus stop in the Boxted/Langham area.
“The van slowed down and the student was asked to get into the van.
“The incident has been reported to the police.
- 1 Pub with 'gorgeous views' named one of UK's best waterside drinking spots
- 2 Matchday Recap: How Town's 1-0 win at Burton unfolded
- 3 Suffolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of manslaughter after death of child
- 6 Army carries out controlled explosion of dummy tank shell in west Suffolk
- 7 McKenna delighted to see Town win game of 'aggressive chaos'
- 8 Man dies following two-vehicle crash in west Suffolk town
- 9 Strike threat could leave East Suffolk bins overflowing
- 10 Burton Albion 0-1 Ipswich Town: Harness wins it as Blues stand firm
“This evening, staff will speak to students on their buses before they leave school to encourage them, wherever possible, to walk home with at least one other student.
“I am sure you will also want to speak to your child this evening regarding their personal safety.
“I will inform parents if I receive any further relevant information. In the meantime, if you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me at the school.”
A spokesman for Essex Police has confirmed the incident has been reported to the force.