Search

Students evacuated after chip pan fire in university halls

PUBLISHED: 14:56 25 November 2019 | UPDATED: 14:56 25 November 2019

Students were evacuated following a fire at university halls in Colchester Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

Students were evacuated following a fire at university halls in Colchester Picture: GOOGLE MAPS

Archant

Students were evacuated after a kitchen chip pan blaze at a university halls building in Colchester.

Two crews from Colchester attended the building around 3.50am today at Boundary Road in the town and all Essex University students based in the halls were evacuated immediately after the fire alarm sounded.

On arrival, firefighters found the blaze in a second floor kitchen and managed to extinguish it by 4.37am.

You may also want to watch:

The kitchen suffered fire damage and adjoining flats suffered smoke damage.

No injuries were reported, according to Essex Fire and Rescue Service.

Watch manager Richard Lark, Colchester Fire Station, said: "This incident shows how quickly a chip pan fire can spread and how much damage it can cause.

"Thankfully the students did the right thing once the pan caught fire - they did not attempt to extinguish it, but instead immediately left the building.

"I urge anyone who is cooking food in oil to follow our safety instructions."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times