Stutton: Wattisham-based soldier prepares for Great Swim challenge in aid of Royal British Legion
DIVING in at the deep end, one Suffolk soldier is preparing to make a splash for charity.
Lance corporal Mark Owen of the Adjutant General’s Corps, based at Wattisham airfield, is preparing to take on the five Great Swims across the UK, including the Great East Swim at Alton Water next month.
The 31-year-old’s aim is to raise more than £1,000 for the Royal British Legion (RBL).
“Due to an injury sustained while training in Germany, I can only swim and cycle to stay fit,” he said.
“After taking part in the Great East Swim last year, I was hooked on open water swimming.
You may also want to watch:
“The RBL have helped me and my friends over the years so I thought I would combine the desire to repay the help I received and my new love for open water swimming.
“The charity has supported me and helped me through various bits and pieces when I was injured.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 6 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 7 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 8 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 9 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 10 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
But L/Cpl Owen said the charity’s work goes far beyonf helping just serving servicemen and women.
“They provide a huge support to servicemen, but they are also there for families.
“There are so many ways they can help, their service is invaluable. They are a massive support network.”
L/Cpl Owen has raised around £400 so far but hopes to pass the £1,000 mark.
He will take on all five of the Great Swims at Salford Quays in Manchester, Royal Victoria dock in London, Lake Windemere in the Lake District, Alton Water and Loch Lomond in Scotland.