Q and A: Gemma Mackman on succeeding in Sudbury
- Credit: Archant
Sudbury based Gemma Mackman gives her views on what it is like to run a business in Sudbury and why more women should give it a go.
Gemma Mackman is a founding director of Sudbury-based business, Mackman, a full-service research, branding and marketing agency. Over 15 years, Mackman has worked with businesses such as Twinings, the University of Essex and University of Nottingham, Humphries Weaving, The Sticker Factory, Somerville Holdings and KSL.
What was your biggest motivation in starting and running your own business?
Primarily I was motivated to create a positive work/life balance for our family. At the time of starting the business, our first child was just a few months old and we wanted to be around for milestones.
What is the best thing about running a business?
You may also want to watch:
Being in control of my own working environment and ethical code. This is important because I didn’t want to ever feel personally compromised by what I felt was right or wrong, and by what I was told I just had to do.
What do I love about it?
- 1 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 2 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 3 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 4 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 9 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
I enjoy being my own boss, but most of all I love managing other people. Seeing them progress and become more confident, knowing that we have helped them to take the next steps in their professional career and maybe made a difference to their private life along the way.
What is the biggest challenge of running a business? Any advice for overcoming this?
As women in business we continue to come across situations where we are considered
unequal. My advice is, don’t let that knock your confidence or get to you, just keep forging ahead. Remain focused and keep everything in perspective.
What attracted you to having your business located in Sudbury?
We moved both the business and our home from Colchester to Sudbury at the same time. We love the welcoming vibe, strong, close-knit community and atmosphere of Sudbury. Its location is great for our business too, as it is within easy reach of Colchester, Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich, Chelmsford and London.
What are the benefits of being members of the Sudbury Chamber of Commerce?
Being a member of the Chamber of Commerce opens a lot of opportunities to meet with other businesses and receive updates that are relevant to you and your local community. Businesses in Sudbury should certainly consider membership, particularly if they are passionate about their local community and want their voice to be heard.