Sudbury: Charity to honour volunteer Sophie with new awards scheme
- Credit: Archant
A young volunteer who made a valuable contribution to a Suffolk charity is to have an awards scheme and training facility named in her honour.
The Befriending Scheme, based in Sudbury, helps more than 450 adults with learning difficulties across the county, thanks to a team of around 300 volunteers.
A particularly valued member of the team was Sophie Bavington, who died in 2012, aged 23.
The Befriending Scheme has recently moved into new premises on The Croft, and as a tribute to Sophie’s contribution, a new training room – which will provide vital life skills courses for the charity’s members – will be dedicated to her.
Sophie, from Great Cornard, was the daughter of parish and district councillor Tony Bavington.
You may also want to watch:
Along with his wife, Carmel, he will attend an unveiling ceremony this Friday and help pick the recipient of the first Sophie Bavington Young Volunteer of the Year Award out of five young people who have been nominated.
Shirley Moore, Befriending Scheme chief executive and founder, said: “Sophie was a volunteer in Sudbury, helping out at the local Hub group on Thursdays.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 8 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 9 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
“She also assisted at fundraising events and very much enjoyed being part of the charity.
“She was a magnificent volunteer who took her role very seriously – we wanted to remember Sophie in this special way.”