Sudbury could receive town centre funding boost
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Sudbury could receive funding to transform its town centre after the council made a bid for a slice of a government funding pot.
Babergh District Council has submitted an expression of interest application for additional funding from the government’s Future High Streets Fund.
The national scheme, which was launched in December, allows councils to apply for grants to improve town centres.
Success at the expression of interest stage will enable the council to submit a full business case application for funding to support several strategic projects and investments.
MORE: Plans for Belle Vue Park come under scrutiny at meetingBabergh says the application will also include projects and actions proposed in the Sudbury Vision for Prosperity action plan, to help Sudbury reach its community and economic potential.
The additional funding will also help with plans to highlight Sudbury as a significant heritage visitor destination town in the eastern region, therefore attracting more visitors and boosting the economy, according to the council.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Barrett, Babergh cabinet member for economy, said: “The possibility of this additional funding resource is a great boost to our hopes of achieving our vision for Sudbury.
“High Streets across the country face many challenges and need support to regenerate. There are communities across the UK competing for this funding with many town centres in need of regeneration.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
“But we believe, along with our partners and local groups, that we have a very strong case with some fantastic projects proposals to present.”