Sudbury: Dogs have their moment to shine in auditions for a Ormiston Sudbury Academy musical
- Credit: Archant
Seven dogs have had the chance to prove whether they are worthy of a pivotal role in a school production.
Yesterday, canines with acting promise auditioned for the part of Toto in Ormiston Sudbury Academy’s adaptation of The Wiz musical.
The pet will appear alongside Dorothy, played by Laura Barnard, in the modern portrayal of family favourite The Wizard of Oz, which is packed full of Motown and soul music.
Leo Cox, head of performing arts at the school and show director, said there had been about 12 applicants for the role, which were whittled down to seven.
Ted, Ruby, Jolly, Daisy, Lacey and Bramble and Nuggett were the lucky pets who made it through to the auditions stage.
Mr Cox said: “We are looking for someone the audience is going to respond to. A dog that’s well-behaved, but at the same time doesn’t just sit really still, and has some kind of acting skill - if that doesn’t sound ridiculous.”
You may also want to watch:
The dog they are looking for will also have to be able to focus despite flashing lights and a live band.
Mr Cox described the role of Toto was “massive” as Toto running to Dorothy at the end indicates she is back in Kansas.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 5 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
“If Toto doesn’t run on it could be quite awkward,” he said.
The successful dog will be revealed today.