Sudbury: Ex-boyfriend, 21, is jailed over street attack
A JILTED boyfriend who punched a love rival “like a boxer” after discovering he had kissed his ex-girlfriend has been jailed for 16 months.
Ricky Barker, 21, left his victim, Jake Pipe, covered in blood when he repeatedly punched him in the face at The Croft in Sudbury on June 11, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Jailing Barker, of Kempson Drive, Great Cornard, Judge David Goodin said Mr Pipe suffered a “nasty and painful group of injuries” as a result of the incident.
Barker admitted unlawfully wounding Mr Pipe and possessing a small amount of amphetamine found on him at the time of his arrest.
Richard Potts, prosecuting, said Mr Pipe had been socialising with friends when Barker pulled up in his car and approached him.
You may also want to watch:
Barker had been swearing at Mr Pipe and calling him names. “He said he had only split up with his girlfriend two minutes ago and asked Mr Pipe what he was doing,” Mr Potts said.
Barker had then hit Mr Pipe in the face five times and Mr Pipe described him delivering the blows “like a boxer”.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 3 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 5 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 6 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 7 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 8 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 9 Another former Town player completes Colchester move
- 10 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
Another person allegedly became involved in the attack and when Mr Pipe went to hospital he was found to have a broken nose and a suspected fracture to his cheekbone.
Joanne Eley, for Barker, said he had been hurt and angry and had “lost it”.
He regretted his behaviour and realised he shouldn’t have acted in the way he did.