Sudbury: Gareth Davies, who “preyed upon” victim, 79, to steal her handbag, jailed for two years
- Credit: Archant
A Sudbury man who “preyed upon” his 79-year-old victim by pushing her aside to steal a handbag has been jailed for two years.
Gareth Davies, 33, of Raleigh Road, pleaded guilty to the robbery, carried out in an alleyway in Market Hill on Saturday, April 5, which left his victim “so distressed she was unable to talk for some time”.
He had been captured on CCTV pushing past his victim, causing her to lose balance, before stealing the handbag from on top of her mobility frame.
Detective Inspector Nick Power from Bury CID said: “Davies preyed on this vulnerable elderly victim, whilst she was walking down an alleyway with her walking frame, making this a particularly despicable crime.
“The victim was understandably very shaken and so distressed from the incident she was unable to talk for some time. Every effort was made to catch this offender as soon as possible and I hope that this sentence goes to show that robbery remains a priority for Suffolk Police and that offenders will be punished for their crimes.”
You may also want to watch:
Davies was sentenced yesterday at Ipswich Crown Court.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview