Sudbury: MP returns to the town where she cut her teeth
AN MP has returned to the Suffolk town where she first got involved in politics.
Liberal Democrat member for Wells in Somerset, Tessa Munt, spoke at a dinner event in Sudbury on Saturday about how her experiences in the town in the 1990s set her on a course that saw her take a seat in Westminister after the 2010 election.
She said; “I moved to Sudbury in 1992 and was soon involved in a number of campaigns in the town. First, there was the fight to save the old school building in North Street and then we fought a long campaign against the proposed designs for a new bridge at Ballingdon.
“The problem with the bridge campaign was the lack of public consultation - and that’s a problem I’ve encountered many times since.”
Ms Munt worked in social services during her time in Suffolk as well as a supply teacher at Samuel Ward Upper School in Haverhill - a background that, she says, gave her invaluable insights into how public services are run.
You may also want to watch:
She also became friends with Lord Andrew Philips and town councillor Martyn Booth who inspired her to join the Liberal Democrats and try to become an MP. Having contested the 2001 general election in South Suffolk, she was invited to Wells in 2002, where she was eventually voted to parliament two years ago.
“But, it’s great to come back to Sudbury, which is a special town with special people,” she added.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Suffolk man arrested after motorcyclist killed in crash