Police investigating after man’s remains found at farm
- Credit: CHARLOTTE BOND
An investigation has been launched after human remains were found on the Suffolk/Essex border.
Police found what is understood to be a human skull on land off Middleton Road, near Sudbury, on Wednesday.
Witnesses reported seeing a heavy police presence in the area with forensic officers spotted searching a nearby farm.
An Essex Police spokesman said: "We were called shortly before 3pm on Wednesday 22 January with reports that what were thought to be human remains were found on land near to Middleton Road, Sudbury.
"Further searches and examinations were carried out and initial indications show that the remains belong to an adult man.
"At this stage, we are not treating his death as suspicious and enquiries are ongoing."
The spokesman added they are unable to say if the investigation is in connection to a missing person before a post mortem, which is due to take place on January 27.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Five observations from Ipswich Town's win at Forest Green
- 2 Two arrests as man suffers serious injuries in pub brawl in seaside village
- 3 Top food event set to provide showcase for more than 100 Suffolk producers
- 4 Plans for former Dorothy Perkins store in Suffolk town withdrawn
- 5 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 6 Driver caught speeding at 94mph in 50 zone on A140 in mid Suffolk
- 7 See inside £715k mid Suffolk townhouse for sale after major revamp
- 8 Hunt for convicted murderer released on temporary licence in Ipswich
- 9 'A top team for League One' - Forest Green boss praises Town
- 10 Noise warning issued due to late night fighter jet training over airbase
Perry Willings, owner of Middleton Garage, said: "I was told a human skull had been found at the entrance of the farm.
"It was quite surprising to hear that and there were a fair number of police officers called.
"Apparently it had been there for a very long time."
Staff at businesses nearby confirmed lots of police officers had been in the area responding to an incident, but they had not been told what officers were investigating.