Sudbury: Vandals hit youth hub
- Credit: Archant
PROJECT workers have hit out at vandals who smashed benches belonging to a recently opened youth club.
The Hub located in Sudbury’s historic Belle Vue Park launched in July after six months work by local councillors and community groups. Organisers say the project has been a success so far with around 30 teenagers having signed up to the club. But the recent act of vandalism, which has left a number of the planks of wood on the benches broken in half, has left supporters disillusioned.
“It’s just a massive shame,” said Justin Carter, a youth worker from Babergh District Council who leads activities at the Hub.
“A lot of people have put a great deal of work into getting this off the ground, so for someone to come along and carelessly damage equipment like this is a real let down. The room at the Hub is fairly small, so a lot of the kids use the benches to hang out even in winter.”
Mr Carter said the benches had been donated by Youth East Works - an initiative designed to help young people into employment and to encourage them to make the most of their own abilities.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Youth East have been really good to the Hub and have also helped with the renovation of the room. We should be able to fix the benches and hope this is just a one-off.”
The idea for the centre as a place for young people to meet and socialise was conceived by Babergh District Council and town councillor John Sayers, before being backed by Sudbury Town and its two rotary clubs, which donated a TV and music system.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site