More than a dozen rail services in Suffolk and Essex cancelled after track defect on region’s mainline
A track defect has caused major disruption for rail travellers using services on the mainline through Essex,
Greater Anglia said the defect at Rivenhall between Witham and Kelvedon meant the line towards Colchester was closed.
“Train services running through these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 minutes or revised,” a spokesman added.
“Disruption is expected until 11am.”
As a result, services between Liverpool Street and Colchester, Clacton on Sea, Harwich Town, Ipswich and Norwich will need to use the Liverpool Street bound line in both directions between Marks Tey and Witham.
You may also want to watch:
Services will be subject to delay, cancellation and alteration at short notice,
“Greater Anglia and Network Rail are sorry if your journey has been affected by this disruption,” a spokesman added.
- 1 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 2 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 6 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 7 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 8 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 9 Popular community pub announces when it will re-open
- 10 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
By 10am the track was reported to be cleared, though speed restrictions remain in place.
Visit Greater Anglia’s Journey Check page for details of specific services.
Visit its website for details of compensation for delays of 30 minutes or more.