Which restaurants in East Anglia have been nominated in the annual English Curry Awards?
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Curry houses in Bury St. Edmunds, Colchester and Mildenhall have all received nominations for the coveted English Curry Awards.
The annual awards, which is in its eighth year, will bring together hundreds of curry houses, chefs and catering teams from across the country to celebrate the best in England’s Asian cuisine.
Whilst other establishments will compete in regional categories, the Spice Lounge in Mildenhall will go up against restaurants from as far afield as Sheffield and Bristol for the “Most Wanted Restaurant of the Year” category.
Jay Ali, Spice Lounge general manager said: “It’s a great feeling to be recognised at the industry awards by our customers, putting Mildenhall on the national stage.”
He continued: “This our third year running at the curry awards and this nomination is on a higher level because it’s for the restaurant, it’s not just the food, it’s the service, the team , the whole thing.”
You may also want to watch:
The Spice Lounge has already come home with accolades from the English Curry Awards, winning “Service of the Year East” last year and “Chef of the Year South” in 2016 with cook Anfar Ali.
Mr Ali said: “Making a good curry all comes down to passion for me, passion and hardwork.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 5 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 6 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 7 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 8 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 9 Suffolk braced for Indian summer before forecast showers next week
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
“I have been doing this for over 20 years and I’m still as passionate as I was on day one, hardwork and dedication, if you put it all together you come out with a good product.”
Elsewhere, Colchester’s Sonali Indian Takeaway and the Zeera Indian Takeaway in Bury St Edmunds will be going head-to-head in the “Takeaway and Home Delivery of the Year, East of England” category.
Irfan Younis, CEO of Oceanic Consulting who run the English and Scottish Curry Awards said: “We are so excited to announce the finalists for the 8th English Curry Awards 2018.
“They have not only faced the recent challenges but have indeed grown from them.
“The curry industry represents so much more than just food: it celebrates history, community and innovation and we cannot wait to celebrate the achievements of the sector at the awards ceremony.”
The ceremony will be held at the Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill in Dudley, near Wolverhampton, on Monday, September 17.